For one cup of buckthorn decoction, use:
– 1 teaspoon (5 grams) of finely cut dried *buckthorn bark
– 6.76 fl. oz. (200 mL) of water
* You can buy dried buckthorn bark at the pharmacy (also at the “droguerie” in Switzerland or herbalist’s shop in France).
Caution: do not consume fresh buckthorn bark, as it can cause bloody diarrhea and other gastrointestinal side effects.
– Put cold water and the dried buckthorn bark on to boil in a saucepan
– Boil for about 10 minutes.
– Then let the mixture steep cold for 2 hours
– Drink one cup of buckthorn decoction before each meal.
Useful comment on the use of buckthorn
Caution: as with almost all laxatives, long-term use is not recommended (the components, from anthracene derivatives, that are found in this plant can be irritating to the gastrointestinal system) with risks of electrolyte (mineral,…) losses. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist to find the possible cause of constipation if it lasts (several weeks). Moreover, people often think of being constipated as not going once a day. This can be normal: certain people for example go only once every five days without being considered constipated.